The first settlements in North Huntingdon township were shortly after Pontiac's war. Colonel John Irwin and his brother James were among the earliest settlers in Westmoreland County. Upon his arrival in Westmoreland county he traded with the Indians, and later took up a large tract of land, including that on which the borough of Irwin now stands. A large number of Scotch-Irish Presbyerians settled along Brush Creek, and to the north of that stream. The Long Run Presbyterian Church was organized about 1790. Nearby is a the graveyard with two men who settled in the early days of this region: Charles Stewart who died July 2, 1836, aged 62, and James Cavett, born June 7, 1778, died February 22, 1872, aged 94 years.
The Associate Reformed congregation of Brush Creek near Circleville (North Huntingdon Township) was organized in 1784. It was the mother of the United Presbyterian congregation of Stewart Station (organized January 5, 1869). The Stewarts, Shaws, and Millers were prominent in the organization of the church.